Saturday, November 10, 2012

ADHD


  For some time I thought that my son had ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder) because of the way he behave, he is always doing two things at once, hyperactive, and it is a little difficult for him to concentrate when doing homework, etc.
After some reading about the subject my way of thinking about this condition change. There are so much information on the subject that I have no idea why I didn't look for it before, and there are many good videos that help, we just need to look at the right one to learn a little more, like the one on the link that I just post in this section. One important piece of information on that video is that even if you have some of the symptoms, that does not mean you have ADHD and only a doctor can give you an accurate diagnosis. Furthermore,  it states that children who are diagnose with this condition are given a stimulant to help with the symptoms. Now, on this particular information I was confused at the beginning, but I think I understand better now. I thought that by giving them a stimulant the symptoms would worsen, when in fact the medication stimulates the brain so that children can have a more normal behavior. It is actually simple once you pay attention to the information. Some of the stimulants use are Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, etc.

Now it is my opinion that children shouldn't be given any kind of medication unless it is really necessary because they are still developing their bodies and more important their brains. Can you imagine a doctor diagnosing a child lightly when probably he does not have this condition. We have to be very careful about this. I found  another video that it gives you an alternative, here they are using meditation with ADHD children, and from what they said it worked on them. It is just a different approach to treat this condition. Just by watching these kids talk I can only imagine what they have to go thru at such young age. I will continue to work with my son even though his behavior is not that extreme, and I hope my post will help someone to understand better what ADHD means and how we can help someone with this condition.

1 comment:

  1. before i read and see the video i thought that ADHD it was more like an excuse that kids used in order to not do what they told to do. also thought that they were the type of spoiled kids. but now i know that they don not want that and that i does affect them in making relationships and sustain them.

    ReplyDelete