Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Comparison on brain size between men and women



In the book they talk about the differences in brain size between men and women. Not sure if I got this correctly, what I undestand is that men have bigger brain size than women, but they both have equal IQs. Men have more white matter (axons) and both sexes have about the same number of neurons (gray matter) even though men's brain is bigger than of women.
Another interesting point is that men think they are better at certain things, when in fact, women are just not interested in some of the activities that men think are better than us... That was a great point!

I decided to read a little further because it is an interesting topic for me. I found a great article on this subject and I will give you all the link to this page. One thing that I learned is that brain size decreased with age in men over the age span of 25 to 80 years, but age hardly affected brain size in women.... That explain some things :)
I found a very good video that helped a lot with this concept of brain size between male and female, it talked about testosterone and many other things, it is very interesting. I hope it will help you as well as it did to me .




2 comments:

  1. I found your blog topic to be interesting. Further after reading your post and the link about the connection of brain size and different sex ability. I began to think of the self fulfilling prophecy I learned about in Social Psychology. Not only are women not interested in some of the things men are I think part of it is they are told they should not be interested in those things. Further I was wondering why the brain size differences occur. Do they differ simply on ones sex or does gender play a role? Overall good blog topic just sent me on a different tangent of thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it interesting that even thought mens have bigger brains than womens. it does not make any difference about size because it can have a bigger brain or smaller brain but it does not correlate with how smart the men or women is.

    ReplyDelete