Monday, October 8, 2012

Memory Types

It was somehow confusing to me about different types of memory, some sounded similar and others not so much. That is why I did a little research to learn more about this topic, of course now I am thinking of why I did not seek this information before.
What are the different types of memory? Well, the memory system has been divided into two broad categories, declarative and non declarative. The declarative memory system is the system that has a conscious component and includes memories of facts and events. An even like a vacation, or a fact like the capital of the United States. Non declarative memory, also called implicit memory, is the type of  memory that do not have a conscious component, although, that do not mean that is not important. These include skills and habits, like driving a car, or playing the guitar. Declarative memory is knowing what, and non declarative memory is knowing how.
FMRI's and PET scans allows one to see areas of the brain that are active during specific tasks. If a person is put in the FMRI and given a memory test, we can see which areas of the brain are active during that specific task, and that activity could be related to where exactly in the brain the memory is processed and stored.
One classic study in the localization of memory was the result of the surgery performed to Henry Molaison. He was known by the scientific community as H.M. he suffered severe attacks of epilepsy and the only way to treat him was by performing an operation where they would remove the hippocampus to alleviate the seizures, and indeed helped him with that. But there was a major effect from the removal of the hippocampus, it affected his memory, specially after the surgery he was not able to form new memories. Nevertheless, he was able to form new memories from skills and habits.
I tried to post a video of H.M. but I could not find something that I really like, so, instead I will post a video about how our memory works, is a little bit long but worth watching...enjoy

4 comments:

  1. before i was having a little trouble with the types of memory for some reasons i though there were a lot of types but now i know that there is only explicit and implicit plus now i know what memory does what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video amplifies how important memory is in everyone's lives. When the analogy is made of memory and breath one is forced to realize, yes, yes, memory is important in my life and I literary would be lost without it. I found Childhood amnesia an interesting topic. The best part of the video was when the Expert said he had a person tell him that he remembered being in the Fallopian tube. Then his response was that it was problematic because, a person doesn't have a nervous system at that point. The child experiment was not a new topic to me. When I was in child development psychology I heard about the experiment. To see it actually happen was great. It is easier for me to understand the children's responses when I can see them responding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to start of by saying thank you for posting this, I was so confused on the different types of memory but with your description and the picture that you posted I believe I understand it more than I did before. I think its pretty cool how an fMRI and a PET scan can point out where in the brain is being used at that time the task is being done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. This is more clear and you clarified everything better then the book did. I would read over and over and still not understand the way it was written in the book. After reading this post, I can fully understand between explicit and implicit memory. Thank you so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete